Share this article on Facebook
10 Tips For Formatting Query Letters
by Dan Case
1. Mail your query letter in a number 10 white envelope.
2. Type your return address and the magazines address. DO
NOT write the addresses in pen, pencil or crayon. (not very
3. Use a COMMEMORATIVE STAMP on the envelope. Why not?
Your envelope with its beautiful stamp may just make the
4. Use 20 lb white bond paper for your query letter. Fancy
stationery only distracts from the business at hand. DO NOT
use lined, colored, or erasable bond paper.
5. If using a typewriter, use a new ribbon and 10 pitch pica
type. If you use a laser or inkjet printer, use Times Roman 12
6. Format your letter like a business letter: date, magazine
address, Dear Ms Editor, blocked paragraphs, sincerely, your
name, your address, your telephone number, your email.
7. Use wide margins. 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches.
8. Turn off "Right justification". Use left justify only in
a professional query letter.
9. Include a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope). Use a
number 10 business envelope. Put your name and address as both
the "return" and "to" addresses. Fold it in thirds to fit
in with your query letter.
10. Never staple your query letter to any inserts. Use a
single paper clip in the upper left corner.
© Copyright 1998, Dan Case
Dan Case is the editor of Writing for DOLLARS! the free ezine for writers, featuring tips, tricks and ideas for selling what you write. You can receive a free ebook, 83 Ways To Make Money Writing when you subscribe. http://www.writingfordollars.com
Other articles by Dan Case :